I’ve driven past Newcastle a hundred times but rarely stopped. To be honest, I didn’t know much about the joint…but after spending a weekend there I have a new found respect for this vibrant coastal city.
‘Newy’ is 160 clicks north of Sydney and has an incredible set of beaches, all with promising surfing setups. The waves were small all weekend, so I didn’t get to see the brilliant Merewether Beach light up, but I can see how you could connect a right all the way down the reef on its day.
Five things you may not know about Newcastle:
- Newy is a major port and the largest exporter of Coal in the world!
- Newcastle is home to famous surfers like (four-time world champ) Mark Richards, Craig Anderson, Nicky Wood, Travis Lynch, Ryan Callinan, The Hoys, Mitch Ross,The Egans, Peter McCabe…and recently Julian Wilson.
- Stockton Beach is 32 kms long and you can 4wd up it.
- 738 foot Pasha Bulker ran aground on 8 June 2007 on Nobbys Beach. Took 3 attempts to set the ship free.
- Over 500,000 people live in Newcastle – more than you think… enjoying its mild all year temperate weather conditions.
Check it out.