10 things I bet you didn’t know about Rio de Janeiro:
- David Beckham bought a house right in the the middle of Vidigal Favela for $500,000USD. Best views in town. We knocked on his door – not home.
- There are 60 pet stores around Leblon, Ipanema and Copa. They like dogs. That is like having 60 pet stores in Bondi (instead we have 60 cafes)
- Rio De Janeiro means River of January as it was first visited by Europeans in 1 January 1502. Odd thing is that it’s a bay and not a river mouth. Opa!
- In 1994 Rod Stewart played at a concert on Copacabana Beach to a record 4.5 million people. Biggest concert crowd to this day. To put it into perspective – Woodstock was only 400,000 hippies. Each NYE attracts around 2.5 million to the 4km of beach. Wild!
- Rio was the capital of Brazil from 1763 until 1960. It’s capital is Brasilia now.
- The giant statue of Christo gets hit by lightning many times a year! If you look closely there is a network of steel rods imbedded into the stone to help ground Jesus. A few years ago lighting struck a piece off Jesus. Boom!
- Located right in the middle of Rio de Janeiro is Tijuca Forest which is the largest urban rainforest in the world. It’s unbelievable.
- Rio is the first South American city to host an Olympics
- The Brazilian wax job originated on the beaches of Rio when the thong bikini came into fashion. A NYC waxing salon named it ‘A Brazilian’.
- Carnivale is BIG business for Rio. 800,000 people visit during the huge festival and it brings in 950 million Real (300 million AUD)